The First Post
The first word. The first page. The first post. It's always the toughest. So might was well jump in. =)
It is currently 402 days until the 2013 Arizona Iron-man Event.
Honestly, up until a couple of months ago, I would have responded to an Ironman attempt with a simple question... Why? The training plan is horrendous. The day is pure hell. It's completely crazy.
Now, here I am. So you get to ask... why? Truthfully, because through almost two years of training, and slowly moving up the ladder or triathlon distances, a couple of reasons have emerged.
One.. to be healthier. This all started around 2008. Dan was weighing in at around 300 lbs. Not a good 300 either. I carried around 280 in High School. No wash board abs, but I carried it well. This was now 300, minus some muscle. Things were bad. If I could get a 3XL in a shirt... I would get it.
Then came basketball. Got to moving around a little. I couldn't play more than 5 minutes without sucking down Volkswagens. Weight didn't move a whole lot then, not until weight-watcher's. I was able to lose 25 lbs. 275 was less than what I weighed in High School!
Then came Triathlons. Now how we got into Triathlon's is another story, for another time. My first was in April of 2011. 275 looks something like this.... Still not the picture of health, but see exhibit A above. 2XL is now a good size.
The first triathlon was not speedy (I'm still not speedy, but more on that later). But we kept at it. The first tri ended up being a duathlon, due to rain. But we finished our first full sprint tri a few weeks later.
At this point, cycling was my friend. I hadn't quite figured out the swim piece yet. I was soooo slow, that pretty much everyone in the race passed me (waved starts), and the last section of women had fast enough swimmers to pass me, even though they started 15 min behind me. And running... well, my tri bag says "Running Sucks" for a reason. The bike was my refuge for the rest of the year. The excess weight actually helps on downhills.. ;-)
First came the Tour of Scottsdale in October. 70 miles, took a bit over 5 hours, and by the end, I was hurting. But finished... Then came the El Tour de Tucson. 112 miles. A ton of fun! Though the end was interesting, since the longest ride I had to that point was 80 miles. It's a mind game, when every single mile you go is the furthest you have ever went.
This is Dan at around 255 lbs. XL's are the way to go. XXL are far to big.. and XXXL's are tents. And that ended the first season.
I'm currently at around 258. I feel about the same as above, but really do think swimming and running have added a couple of muscle pounds. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.. :) I actually sorta have a but now..
And now? here's me in my L.. yeah.. LARGE shirt... Not 3XL, not 2XL, not even XL... just L.
Good segway...
_____________________________________________________________________________
L is for Lisa...
2nd reason? Spend time with my partner in crime life.... see a pattern in the pictures? This is one of those interests that allow us to spend quality time together, have fun, and stay fit. (or in my case fit - ter)
Over the course of the last 20 months or so... we have had some pretty cool adventures.
Violating the no man left behind rule when I simply couldn't take it anymore.
Riding 18 mph across the desert before sunrise as wild horses cross the road.
Bee Stings.
Blizzards.
Football Speeches... "Everything you got for the next hour... I'll make it, or go down in flames!"
Everything being okay when a swim just didn't happen.
Malibu and the Mansion.
Up at 4:30 am on a weekday to make it to the pool by 5:30 am to get a lane.
Walking Up Hills on a bike.. Then going slow 5-6 mph... now 12 mph.
Lifeguard interested in the rip tide you are stuck in...
Desperate searches for bathrooms.
Pacific Coast Highway with the top off the Jeep.
Dan's inability to run... then a mile... now 8 without stopping.
Aluminum Bikes... then Carbon Fiber... now Aero Bars!!!
It has been a very, very fun adventure. And we get to do it together. =)
We have competed together in the following...
2011 Marque Sprint Tri
2011 Rio Salado Sprint Tri
2011 Pancake Run
2011 Tour of Scottsdale
2011 Soma Half-Iron Relay
2011 El Tour de Tucson
2012 MS Bike The Vortex
2012 Nautica Malibu Olympic Distance Tri
and have planned
2012 Tour of Scottsdale
2012 Soma Half-Iron Tri
2012 El Tour de Tucson
and
2013 Ironman Arizona
And we have an absolute blast... :)
Though if you catch us on any random training ride, there maybe cursing... at bees
_____________________________________________________________________________

No comments:
Post a Comment